Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Bomb shelters in Spring City

One of my favorite places on earth is Spring City UT. I go there every once in a while at the grace of my wonderful Aunt and Uncle to get away from life and sometimes make some small sales for my company. In October while I was there I remember asking about Halloween. The homes can be rather far apart from eachother and I was curious as to how people were going to trick-or-treat. I then began to hear some of the most ridiculous horse shit I've ever heard in my life. Something to the effect of "Parents don't let their kids go trick-or-treating much anymore around here. They think it's too dangerous." WHAT?! Yeah I'm sure all the crazys in the world have been hunkering down behind junipers just waiting to snatch up all the Spring City kids. Apparently they are now doing trunk-or-treat where people meet up at some damn parking-lot and open their trunks for kids to go car door to car door and get treats. Ok without minimizing this window and going to google name 2 abductions that have happened EVER in Utah. Everyone knows Elizabeth Smart and how horrible and freakish that was, but seriously. I heard about that in Brazil for hells sake. There's like a one in a million chance of something like that ever happening to you.
Look I understand wanting to protect your children and things but don't you think there's a point of detrement? Like never letting your kids see you argue and them expecting marriage and relationships to be perfect? I had a discussion with a co-worker about how in the 80's the "Safety Kids" ruined our lives. She recalls having teachers spotlight kids and have them tell about how a car pulled up and parked by them while they were walking to school and with NO reason whatsoever this child decided to run away cause she was so sure she was about to be kidnapped. Good job of putting the fear of God into these kids. Yeah I'm sure that helps with the whole "love your neighbor" bit. Stranger danger! Score one more for terrorism!
So this whole concept goes to another thing I heard while in Spring City. There are a group of people who have built bomb shelters on the eastern bench of Spring City. A bunch of right-wing nut jobs who have decided when China strikes they're going to be save in their bomb shelters in the middle of nowhere. First of all I don't believe there's going to be a huge war to end all wars. I don't. but regardless of how silly I personally think that is lets go over life in the eyes of some of these people if China DID atom bomb us to kingdom come. So according to my Uncle these people are Mormon like myself. Since I am Mormon I know what these people believe in. A great afterlife full of relatives and Golden streets and happiness. So in their eyes they'd rather live in fear of a bomb and spend money that could go to COUNTLESS better things so that in case the world ends they can live off of broccoli au-graten in a freeze dry bag in a dark smelly hole in Spring City. Stupid Stupid Stupid. I'd rather just die. Live my life loving people, giving them the benifit of the doubt, watching my kids (if I ever have any) go house to house laughing and meeting great people who are excited about kids coming to their houses and spending my money on other things than a hole in the ground with some guns. If the bombs are going to drop then I'll watch the pretty flash before the end. Pull your heads out and live.

2 comments:

  1. Mike- I followed your link from Facebook. I have taken part in trunk-or-treat. Unfortunately they are prevalent in SLC too and they are LAME!! I'm glad someone is finally sticking up for Halloweeen. As for the bomb shelters, I bet they'd make good forts for those kids who don't get to go trick-or-treating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya know Mike, I have to agree with you. We only have so much control over what happens in our lives and no control over the actions of others. A healthy fear never hurt anyone, however, an extreme fear drastically changes our thoughts and actions. Even God has taught us to not live in fear. Therefore, we can go on living our lives to the fullest. Not going about our lives blindly but with intelligence and common sense. Thanks for sharing and listening. P.S. I was referred to your blog by KJB. Peace.

    ReplyDelete